Students in the VCU Honors College receive the best of both worlds: they gain a small, liberal arts college experience while being fully engaged in a large, urban university. See and hear what our students and faculty think about the Honors experience.
- be part of a diverse and supportive community of students, faculty, and staff who will ease your transition from high school to college.
- take small, discussion-based classes in place of larger, more lecture-oriented classes, giving you the opportunity to engage more closely with your classmates and more meaningfully with our outstanding faculty.
- engage in local community service and have unique study-abroad options.
- have an Honors advisor in addition to the advisor in your major.
- gain access to special housing and scholarships.
- receive early registration privileges.
- enjoy unique professional development opportunities.
All of these – and more – will be available to you without having to give up any part of what you might consider to be the “normal” college experience! Our students come from all majors and participate in a wide variety of activities and organizations on and off campus, typically in leadership positions. The Honors College experience is “different” rather than “more.” You will not have to take more credits or take any longer to graduate. And, while we expect that you will have a more challenging and creative academic experience, you should not expect to be overwhelmed with additional work.