The Honors College provides support for undergraduates who present their research at regional, national and international scientific meetings. Participation at these conferences is an important opportunity for you to communicate your research to others in your field, network with undergraduate researchers and faculty, and expand your understanding of your field of research. To be eligible for a travel grant, you must present your research in either a poster or oral presentation, your name must appear in the conference abstract or proceedings, and VCU and The Honors College must be acknowledged.
**Due to fiscal constraints faced by the university, it is highly recommended that students check to make sure that funds are available prior to submitting a travel grant.
You must submit the following no later than three weeks before the conference:
- Undergraduate travel award application [PDF].
- Guest reimbursement form [PDF].
- A letter outlining why you wish to attend the meeting, including what you expect to gain from the experience and how attendance will impact your future plans.
- A letter of support [PDF] from your faculty mentor explaining why it is appropriate for you to attend this conference.
- If you conducted your research off campus, you must include a letter of support [PDF] from your research mentor.
- An itemized budget [PDF] of how the money will be used.
- A copy of your abstract, including the title and authors.
- Active member of The Honors College
- A 3.5 cumulative GPA
- Meet all honors responsibilities
- Students who receive an award are expected to make a presentation of their research as required by The Honors College, such as at an Honors College Research Symposium or seminar series.
- Registration fee
- Airfare and ground transportation
- Mileage, if a personal car is used for travel
- Hotel expenses, including lodging and taxes
- Meals, based on the state per diem rate
- No expenses, including allowable expenses, will be reimbursed without a receipt.
- All efforts should be made to locate the most economical hotel and airline fares possible.
- Review VCU’s Procurement and Payment travel guidelines [PDF] as well as The Honors College’s helpful tips for travel guidelines and procedures [PDF].
- Include the list of available lodging options provided by the conference organizers with your request.
- A copy of the meeting proceedings, or photo copy of the title page and abstract, is required before reimbursement will be approved.