More than 30 Honors Students Recognized for Outstanding Undergraduate Research
September 2, 2021
Thirty-four Honors College students were recognized Thursday, September 2 for completing research projects under the Virginia Commonwealth University Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program.
Students were recognized at an awards ceremony in Cabell Library on VCU's Monroe Park Campus. Each student within this cohort of UROP participants were paired with a faculty mentor to engage in research that took place both in and outside of the classroom.
"It's great to see this many of our students recognized for undergraduate research," said Dean of the Honors College, Scott Breuninger, Ph.D. "Taking part in programs like UROP is the cornerstone of what a robust and impafctful undergraduate experience is all about. It brings us great pride in the Honors College to see our students acknowledged for their outstanding work."
Honors student recipients and their presentations are listed below. Each link will play a recorded presentation of the student's research presentation.
- Ainsley A. Miller: Move Your Feet, Get Better Sleep: An Examination of Age, Sedentary Behavior, and Insomnia Symptoms
- Amanda McRacken: Effect of Personal and Group-level Discrimination on Psychological Well-being Among College Students
- Amelia Gulding: The Effects of Brands’ Perceived Political Ideology on Consumer Choice Intentions Amelia Gulding, Dr. Jodie Ferguson
- Amelia Sunnen: At the Feet of the Gods: Describing Iconography of Himalayan Hindu Temples
- Anisha Sheth: The Role of Ethnicity and Race on Alcohol Outcomes in High Anxiety Individuals Google Drive Link to Poster with Narration
- Camryn Marino: Are Children’s Movies Becoming More Violent?: Instances of Aggression in Disney Movies Over Time
- Connor Lewis: Integration of Fiber Tracts in Anatomically Accurate Brain Models to Simulate Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
- Essak Seddiq: On the t-Target Conjecture
- Irtiza Faruque: Synthesis of Copper and Zinc Phyllosilicate Catalysts via fs-RLAL for CO₂ Hydrogenation
- Jennifer Heatwole: Sex and Age on Substance Use Related Health Beliefs and Negative Affect
- Jodie Beaumont: Immune Cell Mitochondrial Function and Cardiovascular Risk in Liver Transplant Patients
- Joe Denisco: Osteocyte Connexin 43 Deficiency Inhibits Sclerosrin Secretion
- Jonice Smitherman: Cognitive and Motor Impairment in Spinal Cord Injury: A Call for New Understanding
- Kameron Jones: Maternal Morbidity and Mortality in Native American Women: A Model for Restructuring Maternal Health Care Systems
- Kirti Sharma: A Review and Proposal for a Combined Therapy Using Mindfulness-Based Training and Methylphenidate Medication to Reduce the Symptoms of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in the Adolescent Population
- Kush Savsani: Examining the effects of generational differences in public-school prescription drug education in America
- Margaret Colangelo: America's Founding Monsters
- Matt Tessema: Oral Health Needs of Refugee Populations in Central Virginia
- MiJin Cho: Chronic predation stress and chronic inflammation alters synaptic vesicle presence in a sex- and stress-specific manner in C57Bl/6 mice
- Neha Madakasira: How Airbnb Has Led to a Shift in Housing Trends, Social Dynamics and Regulations In New York City
- Panth Doshi: Can Mechanical Load Prevent or Reduce Age-Related Advanced Glycation End-product Accumulation in Tendons?
- Rachel Schmitt: How the Male-Modeled Autism Diagnostic Test (ADOS-2) Underdiagnoses the Female Autistic Phenotype: Proposing a Female-Modeled Diagnostic Test
- Raymond Hang: Investigation of the Clinical Impact of Patient-Specific 3D-Printed Anatomical Models for Congenital Heart Disease on Pre-Surgical Planning
- Richard Foster: Modeling Breathing Asynchrony in the Preterm Infant
- Sach Thakker: The role of the gut epithelial barrier in chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy(CIPN)
- Samantha Lee: Different Dimensions of Trust Among Project Participants and the Effectiveness of the SEED Method in Community Action Planning
- Shannon Roberson: Differences in Violence Based on Gender in Assassination of Eco-Martyrs
- Sharanya Deshmukh: Influence of sGAGs on the pharmacokinetic data of Triplatin entry into Ovarian cancer cell lines
- Shivam Patel: Novel Method of Supplementing Current Depression Treatments: Using Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response-Centered Therapy to Improve Constipation-Associated Comorbidity of Depression
- Sneha R. Gade: How does direct volunteering affect the onset of Alzheimer’s Dementia in elderly patients with preexisting cardiac comorbidities?
- Tamara Diaz Velasquez: Pain with no gain: A mediational analysis of sleep quality, pain, and aggression
- Vineeth R Vaidyula: Detainment in US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Holding Cells: Detained Pregnant Women May Be at Risk for Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM)
- Xavier Moore: Polo-Like Kinase 1 Mediated Regulation of Androgen Receptor in Prostate Cancer
- Yasmina Zeineddine: Genetic Variability Affects Muscle Strength but not Response to Unloading in Founder Strains of Diversity Outbred Mice