Apply as a transfer student
The Honors College offers opportunities for you to discover your passions and connect with a diverse student body to develop a standard of excellence. We encourage students from all disciplines and backgrounds to apply to the Honors College.
Admission into the Honors College is competitive. Students who feel they do not meet our recommended guidelines for admission but believe an exception should be made, remain eligible to apply, as other components of the application (extracurricular, honors, leadership, etc.) may offset the lower quantitative scores. The Honors College recommends the following:
- achieved at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA
- completed at least 12 semester hours of college credit from your transfer institution
In addition to the submission of your VCU Common Application, prospective students must submit an Honors College application. As a first-time user, you will be prompted to create a username and password on the Honors College website. Once you have created a username and password, your application can be saved and completed at a later time. Upon submission of your Honors College application you will receive a confirmation email.
The Honors College will confirm your grade point average through the transcript(s) sent into the VCU Office of Admissions with your undergraduate application. You do not need to send a separate copy to the Honors College.
As you prepare to apply, please consider the following application components:
Submission of VCU Honors College application, which includes:
- Your anticipated major course of study
- Your anticipated start date at VCU
- Your cumulative GPA from the other institution(s) you have attended
- Your anticipated credits earned from other institution(s) you have attended
- Submission of endorsement from a faculty member or academic advisor at your transfer institution. You must include the faculty member/academic advisor’s name and email address in your application. They will be prompted via email with instructions on how to complete the endorsement.
- Submission of your CV or resume.
- Submission of a personal education paper. This paper describing your perspective on your education helps the admissions staff identify your definition of a good education and assess your fit within the goals of the Honors College. It should be two to three pages in length, double-spaced, and address the following topics:
- Major influences on your intellectual development, such as important people, events or ideas.
- Your immediate educational goals and plans for achieving them.
- Your goals and dreams for the future.
Please note this application is only for those transfer students who have not yet enrolled at VCU. If you have already transferred to VCU and begun your studies at VCU, you should complete our continuing-student application. Your application will not be processed until you have completed at least 12 credits of coursework at VCU.
Important Dates and Deadlines
Transfer student applications are only accepted and processed twice a year. All application pieces must be submitted by December 1 for admission in the spring semester (decisions will be made by Jan. 15 or the first day of spring classes, whichever comes first). All application pieces must be submitted by May 1 for admission in the fall semester (decisions will be made by June 15). All accepted transfer students will be expected to attend a transfer-student orientation upon arrival to VCU.