Apply as a transfer student
The Honors College offers opportunities for you to discover your passions and connect with a diverse student body to develop a standard of excellence. We encourage students from all disciplines and backgrounds to apply to the Honors College.
Admission into the Honors College is competitive. Students who feel they do not meet our recommended guidelines for admission but believe an exception should be made, remain eligible to apply, as other components of the application (extracurricular, honors, leadership, etc.) may offset the lower quantitative scores. The Honors College recommends the following:
- achieved at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA
- completed at least 12 semester hours of college credit from your transfer institution
The Honors College has established transfer student pathways for honors students from Reynolds Community College and Northern Virginia Community College. These agreements guarantee admission to the VCU Honors College to eligible students who complete their community college honors program. To read more visit the VCCS/RBS transfer pathways site.
In addition to the submission of your VCU electronic application, prospective students must submit an Honors College application. As a first-time user, you will be prompted to create a username and password on the Honors College website. Once you have created a username and password, your application can be saved and completed at a later time. Upon submission of your Honors College application you will receive a confirmation email.
The Honors College will confirm your grade point average through the transcript(s) sent to the VCU Office of Admissions. You do not need to send a separate copy to the Honors College.
As you prepare to apply, please consider the following application components:
Submission of VCU Honors College application, which includes:
- Your anticipated major course of study
- Your anticipated start date at VCU
- Your cumulative GPA from the other institution(s) you have attended
- Your anticipated credits earned from other institution(s) you have attended
- Submission of endorsement from a faculty member or academic advisor at your transfer institution. You must include the faculty member/academic advisor’s name and email address in your application. They will be prompted via email with instructions on how to complete the endorsement.
- Submission of your CV or resume.
- Submission of a personal education paper. The personal education paper should address the following question: How will membership in the VCU Honors College assist you in pursuing your academic and career goals while also helping you become an active citizen in the community? The paper should be 2-3 pages double spaced. Essays may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Major influences on your intellectual and personal development, such as curricular and extracurricular experiences, community service or important people, events or ideas
- Your immediate educational goals and plans for achieving them
- Your goals and dreams for the future
Please note this application is only for those transfer students who have not yet enrolled at VCU. If you have already transferred to VCU and begun your studies at VCU, you should complete our continuing-student application. Your application will not be processed until you have completed at least 12 credits of coursework at VCU.
Important Dates and Deadlines
Transfer student applications are only accepted and processed twice a year. The VCU Honors College application will be available after Labor Day.
To be eligible for admission into VCU Honors College for the spring semester, students must submit an Honors College application by November 15. Statements of endorsement must be uploaded by the reference writer no later than December 1. All admission decisions will be made by December 15.
To be eligible for admission into VCU Honors College for the fall semester, students must submit an Honors College application by April 15. Statements of endorsement must be uploaded by the reference writer no later than by May 1. All admission decisions will be made by May 15.